Sunday, March 16, 2014

2014 March Madness Brackets in Excel

March Madness 2014 edition is here! Watching the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament is one of my favorite times of the year. Over the years I've created a large number of brackets and spreadsheets for other sporting events, like Superbowl Squares, NCAA Bowl Prediction Pool, heck even a horseshoes spreadsheet (and you can find all of my custom creations on the downloads page).
2014 march madness bracket in excel


However, I’ve never created an Excel bracket or pool manager for March Madness. Why? There’s been no need since discovering David Tyler’s bracket. If you’re planning on running a March Madness pool with Excel I highly recommend downloading and using David’s template as they’re simply the best Excel brackets around.


There's two files, a bracket and a pool manager. All players complete their own bracket in Excel and send to the pool manager. You save all the player's brackets in a folder then open the manager sheet. There's a built in macro that will import all the player's brackets into the pool manager. It's really awesome and easy to use. Instructions are included in the file. I really like how you can run different scenarios, like “if this team wins and this team wins then I’ll win the pool but if this other team wins and this other team loses then I’ve no chance at winning.”

Here's what the Excel bracket looks like, just click on each team's name to advance them:

2014 ncaa bracket excel spreadsheet
 


You can download David’s March Madness brackets for free here:


A few tips to help you complete your 2014 NCAATournament bracket:

  • A No. 16 seed has never beaten a No. 1. Like ever.
  • A No. 12 seed usually beats a No. 5 seed.
  • Odds of picking a perfect bracket: 1 in 9.2 quintrillion
  • Odds of picking a perfect bracket using historical data and basketball knowledge: 1 in 128 billion




If you have any questions about how to use the files feel free to let me know and I’ll do my best to help you out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!
-Nick