Sunday, January 30, 2022

2022 Super Bowl Squares Spreadsheet - one size fits all

I’ve been creating Super Bowl Squares spreadsheets for over ten years now but this is just the second year of using my new and improved one-size fits all generator sheet. When you first open my free grid game template, you’re met with a simple setup screen where the user will decide how to play the game:
  • How do you want to assign names to the boxes: manually pick and choose or automatic randomized?
  • Do you want to use the same numbers of the Super Bowl score, rotate by quarter or by each half?
  • Do you want to earn points per quarter, per minute, or every time the score changes?
No matter what you choose, after you click the “Generate Squares” button the sheet automatically updates the Super Bowl boxes and the leaderboard to reflect only the version of the game you want to play. There 54 different ways to play, all contained within this one template. 

2022 super bowl squares template in excel

After the Super Bowl, you can keep using this sheet for regular season NFL games. Simply use the drop down lists in the Squares sheet to select the team from the list (broken up by AFC and NFC) and their helmets will update automatically! Or make a few modifications and use this template for other sports. The possibilities are endless!

Watch me demo the new Super Bowl board in the video below. Also be sure to subscribe to my email list and YouTube channel as I'll be showing off all the tricks and tips I used to make this spreadsheet work.


As you can see, the new sheet allows more ways to play than a fixed style but is simple and easy to setup and is automated as much as possible.

Get the Super Bowl pool template here.

Even if you’re not into football, you can still use the template to learn how to do all of these cool Excel tricks:
  • Lookup pictures based on cell values
  • Generate random numbers
  • Use the NameManager
  • Create drop down lists
  • Use index and match formulas
If you dissect the macros in the spreadsheet you’ll learn how to:
  • Hide rows and columns
  • Hide or unhide sheets
  • Generate random numbers between 0 and 9 with no duplicates
  • How to hide command buttons by VBA
  • How to change cell fill color
  • How to send an email from Excel
  • How to attach an image to an email using VBA

New Features for 2022

A new feature I added for 2022 is the ability for Outlook users to easily share the Super Bowl squares via email. Enter all the player’s emails in Column A on the Send Scoreboard sheet. Just click the button and an email will automatically be composed from Excel complete with an image of the grid. I explained how to insert images into emails from a spreadsheet in a previous article.



Another way to share, copy and paste the board into a Google doc. This sheet won’t work in Google due to the macros but once you’ve got the grid filled in and the score numbers have been randomly generated, you could share it with your colleagues by copying and pasting as an image into a Google sheet. The manager would still keep score in the template but that way everyone can see what numbers they have. Let me know if you use this feature or if it isn't useful for you.

Get the Super Bowl squares spreadsheet here (enter a 0 into the price box then input an email address):

https://gumroad.com/l/superbowlsquares

*Intended for PC/Microsoft Office/Excel. I don't think it will work in Mac Numbers or Google sheets as macros are not supported*

Let me know what you think. I’d love to hear from you. Is this version as much of an upgrade and easy to use as I think it is? I welcome any and all questions, comments, suggestions, cuss words, and compliments. Let me know using the comments below or via email. Enjoy playing Super Bowl Squares!






5 comments:

  1. Nick,
    You have outdone yourself! I opened up excel first to make my own spreadsheet. While I'm proficient in lean six sigma blackbelt efficiency and love creating workable documents. I actually feel bad downloading this for free! I myself have the 2 kid college fund in the works. Ill make you a deal... if me or my daughters win we will support your fund. absolutely great job with this. I cant find a reason to recreate my own.
    new subscriber,

    John Dunne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, John, I really appreciate it! Don't worry about downloading it for free, I do it for the challenge of trying to encompass as many ways to play as possible within one sheet and comments like yours help keep me motivated to update it every year!

      Delete
  2. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to generate the names diagonally, but randomly. any insight? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I don't understand your question. Can you please explain?

      Delete
  3. Is there a way you can get 4 quarter numbers to be different so all players get a different number each quarter no repeats only because i seen one have the same number 3 out of 4 times

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!
-Nick