Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Podcast Analytics Tracking Spreadsheet

When the COVID-19 pandemic struck last year, many people were stuck at home with nothing to do so they started podcasting. As many of you may know, I love traveling to theme parks around the country. We had discussed starting a podcast for a site I also created content for, Coaster101.com, for years but it wasn’t until the midst of the global pandemic when we finally turned it into reality. Listen to me ramble about visiting amusement parks and riding roller coasters here: https://www.coaster101.com/podcast/

Once we got the hang of recording and it become a permanent thing, we started to analyze our analytics to try to decide what was working and what wasn’t. By understanding the data, you can make decision to help you grow your podcast. Like everything else I do, I decided to make a spreadsheet to track specific stats I had in mind. I’ve turned it into a template you can use, available to download for free here.

podcast tracking spreadsheet


 As I always say, even if you don't have a direct use for this spreadsheet you can still learn something about Excel by examining this template.

For starters, it uses Ranking formulas in Excel to show the most popular and least popular episodes. As I do with almost all of my spreadsheets, I color code the columns so I can easily know which require manual data input by me, which are drop down lists, and which use formulas to be left alone. I use the TODAY() formula to help determine how many days old a podcast episode is (because one just released will obviously have fewer downloads than other episodes). You’ll see there are SUMIF and VLOOKUP formulas as well. Feel free to take a look:

Podcast Downloads Tracking Spreadsheet here

Do you own a podcast? Or do you regularly listen to any and would recommend them to me? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!
-Nick