Thursday, September 17, 2015

Quick Excel Help: Date and Time Formats

I received an email from one of my readers asking a question about date and time formats in Excel and I figured I would share my answer here in case anyone else has the same question.

Question: Hi Nick, I am having trouble with Excel time date formats and was hoping you can help. I have a data field with a date time format and I want to separate this out with date in one column, time in another, & hour of the day  in another. Can you please tell me how to do this?

Answer: There are a number of date and time functions in Excel that should be helpful to you. I’m not sure if this is exactly what you’re looking for but try these formulas out:

In column a: =now()
Column b: =month(a2)&”/”&DAY(A2)&”/”&YEAR(A2)
Column c: =HOUR(A2)
Column d: =minute(A2)
Column e: =Second(A2)
Column F: =TIME(C2,D2,E2)

excel date and time formulas


Do you have any other suggestions for this reader’s question?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!
-Nick