Friday, January 8, 2021

2021 Super Bowl Squares Spreadsheet – the only template you’ll ever need

I’ve been creating Super Bowl Squares spreadsheets for ten years now. Every January I’d update the template and add more sheets with more ways to play. It’s gotten to the point where it’s a bit of a mess when opening the workbook and seeing all these different colored tabs with similar yet different names. It was getting annoying dealing with multiple game boards, multiple score managers, etc. and probably very confusing to new users. 

The old version of the Super Bowl Squares template

I’ve had an idea for streamlining and improving the grid game spreadsheet for over two years but just finally had enough time and energy to work on it before the actual Super Bowl. It’s taken many hours of work setting up the macros and testing all of the conditions but it’s finally ready: the new and improved Super Bowl Squares template is here!

super bowl pool download



When you first open the template you’ll notice the big changes right off the bat. You’re met with a simple setup screen where the user will decide how to play the game. The sheet automatically updates the Super Bowl boxes and the leaderboard to reflect only the version of the game you want to play. 

printable super bowl squares in excel



I used to have to update the sheet every year by inputting the teams and their helmets. This time, all the teams and helmets are in one of the sheets. Simply use the drop down lists in the Squares sheet to select the team from the list (broken up by AFC and NFC) and their helmets will update automatically! 

Watch me demo the new Super Bowl board in the video below:


As you can see, the new sheet allows more ways to play but is simple and easy to setup and is automated as much as possible. 


Even if you’re not into football, you can still use the template to learn how to do these Excel tricks:
  • Lookup pictures based on cell values
  • Generate random numbers
  • Use NameManager
  • Create drop down lists
  • Use index and match formulas
If you dissect the macros in the spreadsheet you’ll learn how to:
  • Hide rows and columns
  • Hide or unhide sheets
  • Generate random numbers between 0 and 9 with no duplicates
  • How to hide command buttons by VBA
  • How to change cell fill color
Update 1-19-2021

I've updated the spreadsheet again. There are now 54 ways to play within one slick spreadsheet. I added options to play by quarters, every minute, or every time the score changes. Watch me preview the update below. Also be sure to subscribe to my email list and YouTube channel as I'll be showing off all the tricks and tips I used to make this spreadsheet work.

*Intended for PC/Microsoft Office/Excel. I don't think it will work in Mac Numbers*


Get it here (enter a 0 into the price box then input an email address):


Let me know what you think. I’d love to hear from you. Is this version as much of an upgrade and easy to use as I think it is? I welcome any and all questions, comments, suggestions, cuss words, and compliments. Let me know using the comments below or via email. Enjoy playing Super Bowl Squares!

16 comments:

  1. This is amazing! How can I get the template?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Click the link in the post (https://gumroad.com/l/superbowlsquares), enter a 0 and an email address.

      Delete
  2. Hi Nick,

    I love your super bowl template, but I am unable to download it.
    Am I missing something ?
    Thanks,
    Lakisha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Click the link in the post (https://gumroad.com/l/superbowlsquares), enter a 0 and an email address.

      Delete
  3. How do I download the template

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Click the link in the post (https://gumroad.com/l/superbowlsquares), enter a 0 and an email address.

      Delete
  4. Donate and you will be able to download.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After confirming email what is the next step?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should see the link to download the sheet.

      Delete
  6. A feature that would be cool is if you can set it up for Touching squares. I normally do bigger pots then have 4 touching squares that pay out per touching pools so like $100 pool then the four touching would get $25 each.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion. By touching, you mean top and bottom and left and right? Not diagonal? What about the squares on the edges? I'll definitely look into adding this as an option!

      Delete
    2. yes Top Bottomn and left and right

      Delete
  7. I tried to donate and download and it wouldn't accept my payment. Are you still doing this? I really like the look of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, still doing it. Adding a new feature for this year.

      Delete
    2. When will the 2022 Bowl sheet be released? Thanks Nick!

      Delete
    3. You can download the spreadsheet now. I will release a new update once the two teams are known, on 1/31.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you!
-Nick